Wednesday, September 5, 2007

UPDATE


Here is the scoop. Max is indeed at school today. His new school. Pictured here to your left.


We last left off with me dropping the kids off at Pam's and going to the SPED office. I get there and am *cheerfully* greeted by a sped secretary with "Can I help you?" I tell my story again, and again get that well this is the first I've heard about it look. Then I see Angela, one of the secretaries who doesn't think I'm hiding horns under my hat. See asks if I have heard from Mrs. Brown yet, no I say. "But I gave her the message this morning" she says. She then proceed to call Mrs. Brown and gets her. She puts me on the line with her and after a fruitless conversation her I then have another fruitless conversation with the new SPED director. She seems more concerned with why I have made the effort to go look at the Manville School in Boston.


I have already seem 2 of the 4 schools and we already know that Manville isn't an appropriate placement for Max - not a judgement on the school, it's just not an appropriate placement.


I am more concerned with the fact that I had to find out accidentally that my child had no educational placement on the day before school started.


Again, she brings up Manville. Turns out she used to teach there...Ahhh - everything suddenly makes sense. I tell her my goal here is to get Max in school on September 4th at the SAL. She tells me that that isn't going to happen. Even if she wanted to we could not coordinate all of the meetings and paperwork that need to take place in order for this to happen, and that I need to consider and interview with Manville.


To make the rest of this very long story short, after looking for the Superindendant of schools unsuccessfully, many phone calls to our attorney, educational consultant and 1 hour in the Mayor's Office (I *LOVE* our Mayor and not just because this worked out in my favour either), and a signing of documents by me at 6 p.m. last night. Max is now *OFFICIALLY* registered at the School for Accelerated Learning.
Whew!


No transportation yet, but at this point I am just pleased that he has a school to go to...


And the saga continues...

No comments: